Today over 2 million people go to college each year, yet this is one of the few areas where the market is underserved and the decision process complex. Become a part of a financial professional association which is committed to work in the best interest of the clients they serve. Know that you can be confident in the financial advice and strategies you give to your clients on saving, paying and student loan repayment. Comprehensive financial plans now requires answers about college funding and student loan repayment and how they interact with client’s retirement goals.
College Funding & Student Loan Advisor
The CFSLA designation was developed to inform both consumers and institutions that the financial advisor has a comprehensive knowledge of the entire college financial decision process. The financial advisors current expertise is to compliment the complexity of the various college financial decisions.
Earning the Designation
The financial advisor must complete the comprehensive training program and receive a grade 70 or above on each of the sections. There are 16 sections. Once the training is completed, the following items must be in place before the designation can be assigned.
- A professional financial certification/designation or professional financial license
- Earn 10 CE credits per year (6 specifically in college or student loan topics)
- View Annual update (July/August) & year end (December)-(Live or Recorded)
- Operate under a Fiduciary Standard
Managing Your Designation
As part of the CFSLA designation, the advisor will be listed on the EFC PLUS website as a CFSLA. A small fee will be required after the first year. As part of the CFSLA designation review process, any complaints from a consumer should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. If multiple unsatisfactory complaints are reported and we find these reports to be true then certification will be revoked. In addition, the requirements listed above will be required as part of the renewal process.
Benefits of CFSLA Designation
- Comprehensive Glossary of Terms
- Three PowerPoint Presentation (Paying for College, Saving For College, Student Loans & Repayment)
- $100 Discount to first 10 EFC PLUS Licenses
- One year listing on EFC PLUS website as a CFSLA advisor (if CFSLA rules are approved)
- Access to Quarterly Webinars (1 CFP CE credit per webinar) for 1 year
Price of the Certification Program